Despite many homeowners using electricity and gas to heat their homes, firewood remains a popular option. Many people still prefer to use wood because it brings an authentic element to any home. However, one downside of firewood is that you will end up having a large pile of logs. That’s why you need a rack to store them. Of course, you do not want them to rot or make your backyard look disorganized. That’s why you need to choose one of the best firewood racks to help you store and organize your wood. Luckily, they are many firewood racks out there, and it is easy to pick the right one.
If you are planning to buy a firewood rack, you might get confused because of the many options in the market and the diversity of design, types, and makes. Getting a rack for your firewood should not be a headache, but getting the best firewood storage can be a hard nut to crack. However, don’t get worried because we have you covered. After surveying the market and analyzing different firewood rack brands, we have selected 10 best firewood racks in 2019. In addition, we have prepared a buyer’s guide to help you choose the best firewood log rack for your needs.
Top 5 Best Firewood Racks: Editor’s Choice
Our reviews below will help you easily pick the right firewood rack for your home;[toc]
Best Firewood Racks Review:
1. Woodhaven 8 Foot Firewood Rack
When it comes to strength and durability, this firewood rack is a heavyweight. The design utilizes rectangular shaped metal beams that are welded to give it rigidity and strength. The frame is arc welded to increase strength.
The whole rack is powder coated to make it rust-resistant and long-lasting. Also, having been made in the USA means that it has passed all the quality tests and thus you will be assured that it will serve you for many years. Coming with a front-opening vinyl cover that is waterproof, you can be assured that your firewood will be safe from moisture and rain. This cover allows air to penetrate inside to help keep mildew at bay and ensure your wood remains dry.
Although it is a little bit pricier than most racks in its category, it is worth the extra money thanks to its sturdiness.
- It is made from heavy-duty, tubular steel and thus can hold a significant amount of firewood
- It is powder-coated with a protective black finish to keep rust at bay
- Stainless steel bolts and nuts are provided for added stability
- Made in the United States, which means it has met all the quality standards
- It has arc welded ends for extra stability
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime structural unit for this product
- Has a capacity of ½ cord rack and thus can hold sizeable firewood
- Comes with a weatherproof cover that allows wood curing and air penetration to keep mildew at bay
2. Sunnydaze 8-Foot Firewood Log Rack
This might not be the best-looking rack when it comes to design, but it boasts of great features and stability.
Having been made from 1mm thick tubular steel that is powder coated to prevent rust, this firewood storage is durable and strong. Although this 30mm diameter tubing has enough strength to hold steady when fully stacked, it is not designed to be a portable firewood rack when fully loaded.
Though designed to be an outdoor rack, this rack can be used indoors, provided you have enough space. This rack has a space underneath that allows circulation of air to keep mildew at bay and also keep your wood dry. It also comes with a great cover that has a Velcro front flap to allow for easy access to the firewood without having to remove the whole cover.
Another great thing about this high-quality rack is that it is spacious enough to hold a fair amount of firewood.
- With dimensions of 96×13.5×48 inches, this firewood rack can hold up a fair amount of firewood
- Is made from 1mm thick tubular steel with a powder-coated finish to ensure durability
- Comes with a durable cover that is weather resistant and waterproof
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty for Sunnydaze 8-foot firewood rack
- It is a large log holder accommodating 1 face cord of firewood. This means you will have enough firewood for multiple fires
- This wood log storage is also easy to assemble
3. Patio Watcher 3-Foot Firewood Rack
Irrespective of where you want to keep your firewood, this hop-style indoor firewood holder will serve you better. It can be installed near the fireplace and also in an outdoor environment. It is quick to assemble as all you need are the parts and hardware, and all are included in this kit. Moreover, this rack will keep your wood safe from dampness and bugs since it has a raised bottom that keeps the firewood above the ground level.
Besides, it keeps larger firewood as it measures up to 3 feet long. This affordable firewood rack is made from a high-quality steel material and hence will serve you for many years. To ensure it’s free from corrosion and rust, its manufacturer has applied powder coating. This makes it suitable for use during the summer and winter.
The hog-style of this log holder ensures your firewood stay neat and dry. Simply place it next to a fireplace for convenience. The clean lines and shiny finish of this rack will add a touch of elegance to your room.
Patio Watcher log holder is packed with impeccable features and is one of the best firewood racks on the market. Its impressive features and stability have won it many positive customer reviews.
- This firewood log holder is made with heavy-duty stainless steel for longevity
- It features 4.5-inch feet that raise it above the ground to keep your firewood well ventilated and dry all the time
- Its stainless steel frame has a powder coating to make it rust resistant
- It comes in parts that are easy to assemble
- The integrated hooks offer extra places to hang firewood toolset
4. Woodhaven 5 Foot Firewood Rack
This is another top-ranked firewood rank that offers great storage capacity of up to a ¼ cord of logs. It is rugged and features black powder-coat on its stainless steel frame to prevent rust.
Another great element of this firewood rack is that it has precision drilled holes that ensure structural durability of the rack for many years. This 5-foot Woodhaven Firewood Rack comes with a quality weather-proof cover that is designed to keep your wood in dry condition. It also offers proper airflow to allow your wood to cure fast and prevent the growth of mildew and mold.
In addition to this firewood rack being a perfect log holder that offers maximum storage capacity, it is also well built to ensure durability and beauty. The only downside to this quality rack is its high price. However, you get what you pay for, and in this product, you will be paying for excellent quality that will last for many years.
Woodhaven firewood rack boasts of impeccable qualities. It has an ergonomic design and great qualities that make it the best firewood storage rack.
- This heavy-duty firewood rack can hold up to ¼ cord firewood
- It has a sturdy and durable stainless steel construction
- Has arc-welded end sections for extra stability
- It comes with stainless steel bolts and nut that make it easy to assemble
- The metal construction is rust- and corrosion-resistant thanks to the powder coating
- The raised design ensures seamless ventilation and keeps your firewood dry all the time
5. Landmann 82433 8” Firewood Log Rack
Most firewood racks on the market are designed to hold smaller quantities of wood, yet this 8-foot long log rack can hold up to 2/3 cord of wood, thereby making it an excellent choice for people who like stove-heating their homes. With that, this rack has a sturdy tubular construction that is powder coated to make it rust and water resistant. It also features additional legs in its middle to evenly distribute weight.
Assembling this log rack is quite simple and intuitive as all the necessary hardware and tools are included in the packaging. Just keep in mind that this rack should be placed on the level ground to hold heavy logs safely.
One more benefit of this firewood log rack is that it is relatively affordable and thus you can get two or more to organize your wood and keep it dry for winter. However, unlike other models, this rack does not come with a cover, and thus you may need to purchase it separately.
- This 8-foot wood rack can store 2/3 cord of wood
- It is well raised to keep your firewood safe, stable, and off the ground level away from bugs and dampness
- It is made of strong tubular stainless steel for optimal support and durability
- Comes with all the hardware and tools needed for assembly
- Its metallic frame is powder coated to help it resist rust
6. AMAGABELI Fireplace Log Rack
A uniquely vertically designed firewood rack from Amagabeli is what you need if you want to stack up wood in your home by the fireplace. It is space-saving thanks to its vertical design and can hold a large amount of firewood.
This rack is heavy duty thanks to its metallic construction and thus will serve you for many years. It helps to organize your logs neatly, and you do not have to worry about your firewood falling over as it is firm and stable.
In terms of assembling, this rack is easy to set up as you are provided with everything you need. It is well-made and sturdy.
- It has an ergonomic design as well as integrated hooks to create more places to hang other things. two arched bars on its stand makes it curvy which adds to its beauty and functionality
- It is easy to assemble as everything needed for assembling is provided
- Amagabeli offers a one-year warranty for this product
- It is made from durable stainless steel square tubing that is powder coated to ensure durability
- The 2-inch raised base above the ground level provides room for aeration to keep your wood dry and free from mildew
- It has a black powder coating for aesthetics and to keep it rust-resistant
- With a vertical design, this firewood rack saves on space and thus ideal for people with congested fireplace. It can also serve as an outdoor firewood rack thanks to its rust-resistant nature
7. ShelterLogic Adjustable Outdoor Firewood Rack
ShelterLogic is a renowned brand that is dedicated to designing and creating shades, shelters, and storage products that are not only durable, but also affordable, and this firewood rack from them is not an exception. It is well-built from high-quality materials, and this explains why it is durable and sturdy.
This heavy-duty firewood rack combines supreme construction and builds quality along with its great design to keep your wood safe and in tiptop condition. It has an all-steel frame construction with black powder coating to keep it rust proof. This makes it a reliable and durable outdoor firewood rack. Capable of storing 1/5 cord of firewood, the enormous size of this rack will help you stack enough firewood for multiple fires.
This outdoor firewood rack from ShelterLogic is designed to both protect your wood and provide enough aeration to your logs to keep mildew at bay. This rack keeps your firewood logs off the ground thereby preventing them from mold and moisture damage. It also comes with a cover to protect the logs. What’s more, the cover is adjustable and can move up and down for quick access to the firewood. You can choose between sizes 4, 8, or 12ft depending on your storage needs.
- It comes with an adjustable polyester cover to keep your logs dry. This cover also fits the split woods
- Raised base keeps the logs away from bugs, water, and growth of mold
- This heavy-duty rack has a capacity of 1/5 cord of wood and can hold up to 1100 pounds
- It is easy to assemble as all the needed hardware is provided
- The steel frame rack has a black powder coat finish to keep it safe
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty
8. Sunnydaze Firewood Log Rack with Kindling Holder
This is another heavy-duty firewood rack suited for use in both indoors and outdoors environment. It is sturdy and attractive and also has a simple and stress-free assembling process. This firewood log rack from Sunnydaze is well constructed and features a stainless steel frame that has black powder coating. It is sturdy enough to withstand harsh weather conditions.
If you are used to stove-heating your home, this firewood log storage will be a perfect addition. It also has a good place to store your small pieces of wood which makes organizing your wood easier.
With a perfect size and a kindling holder attached to it, Sunnydaze Firewood Log Rack with Kindling Holder is one of the best firewood racks in 2019. The kindling holder is adjustable and can also be removed when you need more storage space. Sunnydaze Décor offers a one-year warranty on this durable and long-lasting firewood log rack.
- Measuring 48 inches by 33 inches by 30.5 inches, this wood stacker is of perfect size for both indoor and outdoor usage
- Made from stainless steel coated with black powder to prevent rusting, this heavy duty firewood log rack is durable and will, therefore, serve you for many years.
- It comes with a kindling holder that is adjustable to help you store small pieces of wood
- Has a capacity of a ¼ cord of firewood and thus can accommodate more than enough firewood for multiple fires
- Sunnydaze Décor backs this product with a 1-year warranty
9. The Woodhaven 10-Foot Firewood Log Rack
Keeping firewood outdoor or indoor is always challenging as they may be attacked by bugs or get damp. However, with a quality firewood rack such as this from Woodhaven, this will be a thing of the past.
Woodhaven 10-foot log rack is quality and durable thanks to its solid construction. It can keep your firewood dry and prevent them from attacks by bugs thanks to its raised base that keeps your wood logs above the ground level. This raised design also provides more aeration to your firewood meaning that they will not be attacked by mildew.
Moreover, this rack is relatively larger and thus can hold a large amount of firewood at a time. It has a rectangular design which makes it simpler to pack and remove wood logs from the rack. Its perfect size (1/2 cord of firewood) means that it can accommodate enough firewood of different sizes to last multiple fires.
In addition, it comes with a standard cover to keep your firewood safe from snow and rain in case you are keeping them outdoors.
This durable rack is constructed from the best quality steel materials that have been baked with powder coat finish to make it attractive and rust- and corrosion-resistant. Being a budget-friendly rack means that you can purchase 2 or more to store enough firewood to last you through the cold season. This makes it one of the best racks for keeping firewood. With this rack, there is no need of learning how to build a firewood rack since everything is done for you; your work is just to assemble its different parts.
- It is made of high-quality steel that has a powder coat finish to make it attractive and durable
- All the parts (except the cover) are made in the USA and thus has met all the quality standards
- It has an easy assembling process
- Has arc welded end sections thereby making it sturdy and stable
- It can be adjusted depending on your storage space and needs
10. Patio Watcher Decorative Folding Firewood Rack
Irrespective of where you would wish to keep your firewood, this quality rack will be of great help to you. You can install it near your indoor or outdoor fireplace to keep your firewood in a convenient location. It is quick to assemble as all the parts and tools needed for this work are included in the kit. Besides, the rack has a base that is well-raised to keep firewood safe from dampness and bugs.
One of the key features of this rack is that it has a tubular steel frame that is coated with a waterproof powder that makes it hardy and ideal for both outdoor and indoor environment. It is also strong and durable if used on flat surfaces such as patio or concrete.
Its great appearance will elevate the appearance of your patio or fireplace. Besides, it is pocket-friendly and will serve you for years. Due to its solid construction and powder coating, you can use this rack during the summer and winter.
- It has durable steel construction and hence will serve you for many years
- It is easy to assemble as all the parts and hardware are included in the kit
- Has a solid steel frame that is powder coated for longevity and beauty
- Its great design will elevate your patio appearance and allow you to display firewood in a creative way
- With a 3.5 inch raised base, your stored firewood will have enough aeration to keep them dry all the time
These are the best firewood racks on the market at the moment. If you are still confused as to the best wood log storage for your needs, we have prepared a buyer’s guide to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Buying Guide: Factors To Consider When Selecting Firewood Racks
Whether you need wood to warm your house during winter or you want them for barbequing and smoking, you will need a firewood rack. And while the above firewood rack reviews have shed light on the best racks to buy, here are more important points to help you get the right rack;
Size is an important consideration when it comes to a firewood rack. This is because the size of the rack dictates how much wood can be stored. Therefore, if you are planning to store a lot of woods, you need a large-sized rack such as a rack of 6-8ft in terms of height. Again, if you don’t intend to store a lot of wood, then a smaller rack will be ideal. A rack of fewer than 5 ft. of height will suit you.
Your outdoor firewood rack needs to have a finish that can withstand different weather elements. And one of the most important things is to buy a rack that is rust-resistant, and this is mostly made possible by a powder coating.
When it comes to design, it is all about preference. Try to go for a rack that has a decorative appeal and one that looks more organized. Many designs come as a double-shelved, triple shelved, etc. Some are full of hooks, handles, and crafts. For people who are buying indoor firewood holder, make sure it is elegant and crafty. For an outdoor rack, the design should not be of great importance.
Firewood racks come in different shapes. You will find circular and rectangular ones. However, rectangular-shaped wood racks have a good frame and base. For circular firewood racks, it can be wonky or shaky sometimes.
In addition to shape and size, you need to consider the construction of the rack. Go for a rack that will serve you for many years without getting rusty and breaking down. One of the best materials for a firewood rack is steel. When powder coated, steel can be resistant to corrosion and rust. Racks made of steel can be used outdoors and indoors. Besides steel, you may also consider racks made with wooden stands and metallic base. Ensure the bottom part is not touching the ground to keep your woods from dampness and bugs.
Some racks come with different accessories such as a cover, and thus they are more convenient. Racks with covers are great for outdoor use as they help protect your woods from the harsh weather elements.
The Height From The Ground
The base of the rack should be as high as possible. Moisture is known to damage firewood, and that’s why it is important to go for a rack that is elevated. The base should be at least 2 inches above the ground.
As much as you may be in need of an outdoor rack for firewood, you do not need to spend a fortune to get a quality one. However, it is important to remember that larger racks made of high-quality materials tend to be pricier than smaller ones. The best thing is to focus more on the quality rather than size; it is better to have a small long-lasting rack than a big rack that will only serve you for a short time.
Different Types of Firewood Racks:
Majorly, there are two types of firewood racks; Outdoor racks and indoor firewood rack.
These are racks designed to be used in outdoor environment. They need to be durable, stronger and bigger to store more wood. These racks should also be elevated from the ground and should have a cover to keep your logs dry. Again, they should be made of rust-resistant material such as high-quality steel with powder coating. This is to help them resist the burning sun and snow storms. They are also spacious enough for proper ventilation. The easier air passes through the logs, the faster they get dry.
These are racks designed to be kept inside the house. They need to be stylish and crafty as they are an indoor asset. Often, indoor racks have a lesser capacity and smaller size as compared to outdoor racks. This means that they hold lesser woods as compared to their outward counterparts.
The main difference between these two types of firewood rack is in their strength, size, and capacity.
The Necessity of Firewood Rack
Firewood racks help to stack firewood logs properly and ensure they gradually dry. The rack has to be elevated and covered to prevent rain and dew from damaging your wood. Low-lying racks can expose your wood to attacks by pests or ants, and thus you need to have them elevated to keep ants and pests at bay. If wood touches the ground, it absorbs moisture and doesn’t dry properly. Also, excessive moisture from the ground can prolong the time it takes for wood to cure.
Also, firewood racks need to be set at a distance from your house to prevent snakes and insects from going into your home.
When it comes to stacking, it is important to arrange your wood in a way that allows air circulation.
The top of your firewood rack needs to be covered entirely with a strong vinyl covers or any other weather-resistant cover to guard your firewood against extreme weather conditions.
You can store hundreds of firewood logs in large racks for several seasons as long they are well covered and elevated from the ground.
When buying firewood rack, go for those made from heavy-duty steel that has welded joints and powder coated finish for longevity. Racks made of steel resist sun, moisture, and rain. Other great materials you can consider include strong metals, acrylic, and wood. For wood, go for a rack made from white cedar wood- these look natural and are durable as well as rust-resistant. Also, racks with wheels make it easier to move firewood from location to another.
Racks with an easy-to-assemble process and those with other convenient features such as being easily adaptable in length and height are the best as they help you swiftly change the amount of wood the rack can hold. Portable racks are also better since you can move them easily and quickly.
Firewood racks come in different sizes and shapes. Be sure to choose a firewood rack that best suits your home.
Frequently Asked Questions About Firewood Racks
Q-1: Is covering firewood important when they are stored on a rack?
Yes, the partial covering is important. You don’t want to cover logs that is on your rack entirely. Freshly-cut wood carries a lot of moisture with them, and this affects how they burn. To properly cure firewood, put it on a rack and ensure they are well-ventilated. After that, cover the top with a weather-resistant cover to allow it to dry without interfering with the curing process. If the wood you are stacking is already cured, covering it entirely is fine.
Q-2: What is the ideal size of wood logs you need to keep in a rack?
The best way to know the right size of logs to stack in a rack is to measure the internal dimension of your firewood rack. Also, the inside of your wood stoves or fireplace should dictate the length of the wood to store in your rack. More often, firewood is cut in 18-24 inches.
Q-3: What is the difference between the code of wood and face cord?
A cord of wood refers to two stacks of firewood measuring 4ft deep, 4ft high, and 8ft long while a face cord refers to one stack of wood that measures 4ft high and 8 feet long. It has a depth of 2ft or less.
Q-4: Is it safe to store wood in the house?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to store woods in the house as long as they are dry. Clean and process the wood, and then store it on your indoor rack. If overly moisturized, give wood logs time to dry outside before storing them indoors.
Q-5: Should I buy an indoor or outdoor firewood rack?
Well, this depends on your needs. If you have enough space indoors, an indoor firewood rack will work for you. However, if you intend to store large quantities of wood, an outdoor rack will serve you better since most of them are relatively bigger and stronger. The type of rack you prefer is dependent on your needs.
When shopping for the best firewood rack, the above long-lasting and valuable products are the best in the market at the moment. These racks are known to be sturdy and durable. They are built using high-quality wood materials and steel. They are also sizeable and thus can store more wood as expected. Moreover, they are versatile, and most of them can be used indoors and outdoors.
They are quick to assemble and are ideal for both outdoor and indoor firewood storage. Make a better purchase decision by choosing among the 10 best firewood racks we have reviewed in this guide; you will not go wrong with any of them.